Saturday, January 7, 2017

Notes From a Camper Van Voyage

Excellent photo borrowed from Twitter.com
I've searched high and low to find a picture online that shows the beauty I saw today.

If you're new to this newsletter, I've been asked to continue talking about my Camper Van Voyage!

The setting today: an icy road in the mountains with a lot of icy bridges. And some breathtaking views I wish I could show you.

I've made plenty of driving errors - like making a U turn to go back and get a picture of that view, and then realizing shrewdly...

... that I was going the wrong way on a 1-way road. The other drivers picked up on this right away... : )

They were mostly truckers. They blinked lights at me and nicely advised me to turn my car back around!

Yes, there have been a few TENSE moments.

The photo above is not taken by me; I found it on Twitter from a driver who was on the same road.

Here's another one - a live cam from today:

These photos definitely don't do justice to the views nor the fact that we were all stopped for over 2 hours so that trucks could be checked for snow chains.

One official tried to tell me not to go on the road; he was distracted, it was too late, I didn't know what to do, and worried I was driving into the pit of hell, only very cold and very high.

It turned out to be just fine and once I realized I was not in danger I got my driving confidence back!!

It may be only my Texas license plate and occasionally bewildered expression that is keeping me from getting a stern talking-to from law enforcement.

A few days ago I was at the Mexican border facing five uniformed guards and a German Shepherd!

That turned out to be the easy part...

The next few days I'll save the camper van voyage updates because I'll be working at some undisclosed location!!

Still lots of snow and ice though!

No comments:

Post a Comment